Thursday, March 22, 2007

A new book for the favorites list:

I just started reading In Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson. We've only read 2 chapters so far, but I'm loving it! The author wrote down stories of her grandmother's life that she heard as a little child. so fun! Many of the stories also have life lessons in them, which is an added bonus. :)

It makes me wish I were a writer so I could do the same thing w/my grandma --she has so many fascinating stories to tell! Maybe one of my writing relatives like Heidi or Michael would do that... I think one of the greatest gifts that older generations can give to younger ones is in the stories of the lives they've lived. An old person's mind is like a treasure chest, and the treasures are their memories and wisdom. The chest is always open, and you're welcome to take all the riches you want. But when they're gone, the chest is burried. And you'll never have access to those treasures again.

I've also been inspired by the book to make a quilt out of fabrics from special clothes, etc. (what are those called? heirloom quilts? --I think you were making one, Jody?) It's so neat to hear all the special stories that the Grandma tells & remembers w/all the different fabrics. --plus, then it would give me something to do w/all those special baby clothes that I just couldn't part with. :)

No comments: