Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Favorite Picture Books

Here's a list of my favorite books for young kids (in no particular order). I'll put a link to this post on the side of the page and add to it as I find more that I like. Please tell me what your favorites are, too!

  • The Squire and the Scroll by Jennie Bishop (elementary age) similar to "The Princess and the Kiss", but for boys. --and I like this one better because it has more depth. :) A parable about a young squire who survives many trials by keeping to the words of the scroll. "A tale of the rewards of a pure heart."
  • The Princess and the Kiss by Jennie Bishop (elementraty age) The story of a little girl who is given a precious gift (a kiss) from her parents, when she is born, and how she grows up and has to choose which, of many suitors should be the one to receive her kiss. A sweet story that teaches girls the value of their purity.
  • God's Wisdom for Little Girls and God's Wisdom for Little Boys by Elizabeth George (elementary age) The girl's book is Proverbs 31 explained in simple language, and the boy's book is the same, except it uses different verses from Proverbs. A great character-building book
  • The True Princess by Angela Elwell Hunt (elementary age) A parable that teaches girls that it's the heart that matters. "It is love that marks a true daughter of the king."
  • Mama Love by Kathy Mallat (preschool to younger elementary) a book about the love of a mother. Don't much care for the illustrations (it's a monkey & her baby) but love the words: "My mama loves me. I'm the twinkle in her eye, her heart's pitter-patter, her star in the sky. My mama loves me. I'm her absolute delight. She guides me and protects me through each day and night...I love my mama. She is everything to me, the rays of my sunshine, the roots of my tree. I love my mama. She's the twinkle in my eye, my heart's pitter-patter...my star in the sky." so sweet!!!
  • Too Many Frogs! by Sandy Asher hate the illustrations. love the story.
  • Alice the Fairy by David Shannon "One time my mom made cookies for my dad. So I turned them into mine."* David Shannon also wrote the "David" books, and A Bad Case of the Stripes. I love his illustrations.
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball by Vicki Churchill (preschool) "Sometimes I like to scream ever so loud, Not that I'm cross, I just like how it sounds"
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems A Caldecott Honor Book. "I'll be your best friend! How 'bout I give you five bucks? What's the big deal!? It's just a bus!!! No fair! I bet your mom would let me. I have dreams you know! "
  • One, Two, Three by Sandra Boynton (preschool) "Six is fun for running a race. (Except for the one who gets Sixth Place)"
  • Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton (preschool) "Three singing pigs say LA LA LA!" Another good one by Sandra Boynton: Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • People by Peter Spier (Elementary) All about different people in the world, & how great it is that everyone is different
  • Alexander and the terrible, Horrible, No Good ,Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (elementary) "I hope the next time you get a double-decker strawberry ice-cream cone the ice cream part falls off the cone part and lands in Australia."
  • Olivia By Ian Falconer --She's just like Chloe!
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes I believe he also wrote Owen ,which is also a fun book.
  • Where is Jesus? By Alan & Linda Parry A good book about how Jesus is always with us.
  • The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book by Bob Hartman Folk tales from around the world. Very fun.
  • The Little mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR By Don & Audrey Wood (preschool) fun & clever --& Don Wood is an amazing illustrator. I'd buy any book that he illustrates, just because I like the pictures. :)

*A funny story about that line: After reading this story a few times, Gideon thought that sounded like a pretty good trick. So he kept taking Chloe's things and "turning them into his." So I had to take him aside & have a talk about how "turning something into yours" really means you're stealing it.

No comments: