Thursday, February 22, 2007

Favorite Parenting/Educating Books

Since I homeschool, these 2 groups go hand-in-hand. There are also some good ones on my biographies page, that have been inspirational to me as a mom:

  • The Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo. I *love* Lou Priolo. Heard him speak at a homeschool convention in July '07. He has a passion for the life-changing power of scripture, that catches. This book is for all parents --not just the one's with angry children . :)
  • Born For Such a Time as This by Daphne Kirk It's my new favorite for parents or children's ministers. I think that every Believer who has any contact with children should read this book.
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three! by Ginger Plowman "A Mom's look at Heart-oriented discipline" One of my favorites. Teaches parents how to guide children according to what's in their hearts, instead of just correcting their behavior; and explains how to use God's Word to teach your children. Very practical. Easy Read.
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp My "bible" for basic child-rearing/discipline.
  • Anything Love And Logic. Heather gave me CD's to listen to, so I don't know what the books are called, or who writes them, but I'd highly recommend anything by them. Wonderful advice for practical (logical & loving) discipline. Teaches kids to think for themselves & be problem solvers.
  • Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve by Jaroldeen Edwards full of encouragement, inspiration, and wisdom for mothers.
  • 52 Simple Ways to Teach Your Child to Pray by Roberta Hromas The title is self-explanatory. :)
  • Start Smart! by Pam Schiller Another one from Heather. Interesting book on child-development. The cover says "Building Brain Power in the Early Years."
  • The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Children Great book for practical health issues w/your kids.
  • Let's Grow! by Daphne Kirk A excellent workbook for discipling children through the foundations of faith.
  • Rivers of Grace by Mark and Patti Virkler "Raising children by the Spirit rather than the law"
  • 100 Ways to Teach Your Child About God By Karen Henley

No comments: