Thursday, February 22, 2007

Favorite Chapter Books for Kids

I'm just entering the world of kids' chapter books. Here are some that I've really enjoyed. What are your favorites, and why?

  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis what can I say? A classic must-read.
  • Dolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover A true story of how a family of dolphins sought a man's help to save their baby's life.
  • My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett A fun and silly adventure story.
  • James Harriot's Treasury for Children by James Harriot True stories from Dr. Harriot's life as a veterinarian
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting We just finished this one. What a fun adventure story! And here's an interesting piece of trivia: Mr. Lofting wrote these stories when he was lieutenant in WWI. He was writing letters to his children, & knew that news from the front wasn't appropriate for them, so his letters became the story of Doctor Dolittle.
  • In Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson True stories stories from a grandmother's childhood.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you using Sonlight? Because they introduced me to the titles you listed and are some of our favorites too! Others are The Chronicles of Narnia series which my 8 year old son has loved hearing aloud since he was 3. The Jungle Book which has great language! We're currently enjoying The Year of the Boar, but my 8 year old likes it more than my 5 year old. It's really well written.

~just me~ said...

oh, yes... we use sonlight. :)

It's interesting that you started the Narnia series so young. I've wanted to read it to my kids, but i thought i should wait a few more years... what do you think?

Unknown said...

I say go for it! The chapters are not too long. Get into character with a proper British accent and much enthusiasm and they'll love it! It helps to do it as a bedtime cuddle up story since they have no where to go :)

Krista

~just me~ said...

alrighty. I'll try it. thanks. :)