Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I just love Winnie The Pooh!

I've been reading Winnie The Pooh to the kids, and have loved every moment of it! A.A. Milne is just so clever & witty! I love his out-of-the -box thinking, and the way he phrases things. I think a lot of it is over the kids' heads, but I'm really enjoying it, & would recommend it to any adult.

today, we were reading about pooh & piglet as they traveled from house to house, to wish everyone a happy Thursday (as an excuse to visit, in hopes that someone will offer them Tea). After leaving Rabbit's house, pooh & piglet have a conversation:

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh
"Yes,," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"and he has Brain."
"Yes," said piglet, "Rabbit has Brain."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

Chloe couldn't understand why I was laughing so hard that I couldn't read anymore. Maybe it has something to do with all of the Brainy people in my life...

I especially like Eeyore's dry humor:

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"so it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Here's an excerpt from when Eeyore was knocked into the water by Tigger:

"Eeyore!" cried everybody.
Looking very calm, very dignified with his legs in the air, came Eeyore from beneath the bridge.
"It's Eeyore!" cried Roo, terribly excited.
"Is that so?" said Eeyore, getting caught up by a little eddy, and turning slowly round three times. "I wondered."
"I didn't know you were playing, " said Roo.
"I'm not, " said Eeyore.
"Eeyore, what are you doing there?" said Rabbit.
"I'll give you three guesses, Rabbit. Digging holes in the ground? Wrong. Leaping from branch to branch of a young oak-tree? Wrong. Waiting for somebody to help me out of the river? Right. Give Rabbit time, and he'll always get the answer."
" But, Eeyore," said Pooh in distress, "What can we -- I mean, how shall we--do you think if we----"
"Yes," said Eeyore, "One of those would be just the thing. Thank you, Pooh."
"He's going round and round," said Roo, much impressed.
"And why not?" said Eeyore coldly.
"I can swim too," said Roo proudly.
"Not round and round, " said Eeyore. "It's much more difficult."...

He kinda reminds me of House. :)

anyway, it goes on and on. but it's so very delightful, that I had to share a little.

No comments: