Thursday, September 27, 2007

A is for Apple

This week, in school, the kids are learning about apples. So when I was at the store today, I bought one of every kind of apple. Then I brought them home, and we tried a little bit of each. It was very fun. It's really interesting how different each apple tastes. Had a been a good homeschooling mom, we would have charted how they tasted, what they looked like, and which ones tasted best. But I didn't think of that until affter the apples had been eaten.

But here's what *I* found out, for any of you may be hunting for the perfect apple:

Royal Gala: Delish! :~P crisp and sweet, w/an extra fun little extra taste that I can't describe. My favorite.

Southern Rose: also crisp and sweet. my 2nd favorite

Braeburn: mildly sweet and sour. And not as crisp

Honey crisp: crisp and tart - but not like a Granny Smith.

Granny Smith: crisp and SOUR --Gideon's favorite. :)

Red Delicious: used to be my favorite until I tasted the first two. Compared to them, it's only a little bit sweet. --but on the bland side. Crisp.

Fuji: used to be another favorite, but compared to the others, it's soft and a little bland --just a touch of sweetness.

Pacific Rose: my least favorite. crisp but very bland. No point in tasting that one. --which was disappointing, since it was one of the most expensive in the store.


Gideon enjoys his Granny Smith





2 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

I'm with you. We never would've journaled the tastes of the apples either. I have wanted to do that with apples and also with vanilla ice cream. There are at least 4 kinds of vanilla ice cream. Anyway, now that you've blogged it, isn't that the same as journalling?

~just me~ said...

yah... but that was just *me* writing out. i didn't do it w/the kids, & talk about who liked which one more... but i liked your vanilla ice cream idea! yum! :P