Friday, March 07, 2008

News Flash...please pray!

When I went to the homeschool convention last year, my eyes were opened to the battle that was fought for our freedom to homeschool. Just like people died and suffered and fought for my rights to be free as an American, people before me have fought and been imprisoned for their rights to homeschool. And i am able to glide with ease, through my homeschooling process because of those people who fought before me.

Well, just last week, a homeschooling family was challenged in our state, and a judge basically ruled that homeschooling is illegal. Needless to say, this ruling has HUGE consequences in regards to education in the state of California. One article I read estimated 166,000 California students who are home schooled! If that many people want to choose homeschooling as an option for their children's education, you would think that a government "of the people, by the people an for the people" would allow their people to do it legally!!!

anyway.. I could rant and rave about the government and the school system, but I don't think there's any need. this is a big deal for our family, since we have, thus far, chosen homeschooling as the best option for our kids' education. It would be very sad to be forced to do something that we don't consider to be the best option for our family.

I'm not usually a political activist, but this is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. So...whatever state you are in, if you homeschool, and would like to keep that right; or if you don't, but think that children belong to the parents, not to the state, and that parents should be allowed to choose what's best for their children; you can go here to sign the petition to keep homeschooling legal. It only takes a couple minutes to type your name and give a voice to The People.

5 comments:

Alvarez Family said...

That's horrible! A nightmare! Should NOT happen!! I will sign!

~just me~ said...

thanks ruth!

this morning, when i posted this, there were 40,000+ signatures. I looked just now, & there were 63,000+! yay! keep 'em coming!

Gwendolyn said...

Kari, is this affecting your family yet? I always worry about you because I know that California is tougher for HS families than TX. I will pray and sign the petition.

Tonya said...

I signed the petition a couple days ago. I wondered how you felt about this! Sounds like the Gov is on the side of the homeschoolers so far.

Glenna said...

I wished the government was "of the people, for the people and by the people", but sadly, we've far strayed from that in more ways then I can count. I'm also not the biggest fan of homeschooling, but I do believe it should be up to the parents and the city, state and federal government should mind there own buisness and not ours. That said, I will sign the petition, but, I have also been told numbers of times that online petitions are pointless and won't hold up for a second in court. I guess it never hurts to try.