Monday, October 19, 2009

Magnanimous Mondays


mag·nani·mous (mag nan′ə məs) adjective
noble in mind; high-souled; esp., generous in overlooking injury or insult; rising above pettiness or meanness; giving and kind; showing or suggesting nobility of feeling and generosity of mind

My friend Shelley, just started a blog with the focus of committing 3 random acts of kindness every week. I think this will be fun to follow, and i've decided to join her in her endeavor. I thought i'd write about it here, once a week. So, I picked mondays, because mondays are the days when people are the most gloomy, and in need of some extra kindness. I would love it if you would join me each week, in spreading a little extra kindness to the world around you. Let me know what *you* decide to do! :) If you don't want to think of your own ideas, you can follow my assignment each week.

This week: Your mission, should you chose to accept it: buy flowers and give them to a complete stranger.

I actually did this last week because i was too excited about the idea, & couldn't wait until Monday. :)

A couple days ago, when I went grocery shopping, I stopped at the floral section and picked out some pretty fall-looking flowers, and prayed that God would show me the perfect person to give them to. . As I checked out, I also donated a dollar to the store's current cause (thus earning an extra Magnanimous Monday point for me! ;) ) Because I had made this donation, they gave me a root beer float. As I was waiting for them to make it, I spied a lady sitting on a bench with her back to me. Being too shy to talk to a complete stranger myself, I sent Evelyn, my 3 1/2 year old, to give the flowers to her. My plan backfired, because, being a conscientious woman, she refused to take a bunch of flowers from a little girl who was unaccompanied by an adult. So Evelyn brought the woman to me, and I explained to her that we would like her to have the flowers, just because. She beamed & said how touched she was, because she had grandchildren. --I'm not really sure what that had to do with anything, but whatever the point, it made her happy. She left us with a smile on her face. Mission accomplished.

What's your Magnanimous Monday story?


No comments: